April 12, 2010
WordPress for Newbies: How to Enter a New Blog via the WordPress Administration Screen
This is a very brief overview of the blog post process/screen:
1. Go to your blog’s website address.
2. Click the “Login” menu item under the “Meta” menu, right hand side of screen. This will bring you to a login screen.
3. Enter your user name and password. This will bring you to the WordPress dashboard.
4. Click on the “Posts” menu on the left hand side of the screen. A popdown menu will appear. Click on “Add New.”
5. The “Post” screen is roughly laid out as follows:
a. There’s a long text entry field at the very top where you can enter a subject. The subject should be an appealing description of the content within, and you should keep in mind that you should enter key phrases that people might look for when googling for content such as your blog.
b. The next area is a text area where you can enter your blog. (I suggest that you type out the blog in Windows Notepad and save it locally on your computer, then copy the text from Notepad into the blog.)
c. The next area is for an excerpt. Create a one or two sentence synopsis of your blog here, something that gives people more of an idea of the content of the blog.
d. Moving to the right hand side of the screen, the top area is the publish area. When you are ready to publish the blog, click the “Publish” button. You can also preview the blog in this area.
e. Post Tags. Enter 2-5 subjects to which this particular blog entry relates. Post tags should be phrases 1-2 words long.
f. Categories. The categories you enter here will appear on the home page of the blog. You should try to limit your categories to general or important topics for the blog, because all the categories you define will show up on the blog screen.
How to Enter Pictures
1. In the Add New or Edit Post screen, above the blog entry area, there’s a row of tool bar icons for formatting the blog. Above that, there are four icons to the right of the text “Upload/Insert.” The left-most icon looks like a square within a square; clicking on this icon allows you to select images from your computer.
2. Once you select an image and upload it, you can enter a caption (if necessary), edit the image alignment (recommended) among other things.
3. We recommend that when you create images for the blog, try to limit the width of the image to something less than 270 pixels wide. It would be good to settle on a standard width for the photos on the blog so that the entries have some consistency in presentation. Photoshop is a good tool you could use to prepare photos for websites and blogs.
Why should businesses blog?
Blogging improves your business’s credibility online, and adding more content online gives your business a larger digital footprint.
Lakenetwork.net can help your business get started blogging online. In addition to standard web development, we work with businesses and organizations to help improve their social media presence. Call us at (440) 975-9580 for more information or contact us online here.
Lakenetwork is a family-owned business providing website design and development for companies, professionals and organizations in the Cleveland, Ohio area and beyond. We specialize in providing the most cost-effective and appropriate solutions for clients’ online needs. We are located in Eastlake, Ohio.